Researching for research - 25/09/20 skype



The main topic discussed on Fridays skype call was "what is research?" it brought a lot of questions to ourselves including; 
  • different kinds of research,
  • are we researching correctly,
  • looking at it differently,
  • do we gain knowledge and research just by being in our practice,
  • do we gain by repetition?
I wanted to start at looking expanding my techniques of researching, so used the most common way of doing this. The readily available use of the internet. (the first and most obvious technique.)

By researching through the internet we can find a lot of information about what we want find out specifically. I found that this leads us to be biased on what we are research in some cases. As we have to search exactly what we want to find to get it.

Research from experience. I find the best way for me to gain knowledge and understanding being a very practical person. Is by doing it. Being in practice, asking questions to more experienced practitioners and learning from mistakes. By doing this kind of research I find that I have always got multiple contrivance going on at once, making this an interesting but not completely reliable form as certain topics could be miss understood or biased yet again, depending on the person I am speaking too.

Understanding the ethics behind research meaning "All research participants must give their permission to be part of a study and they must be given pertinent information to make an “informed” consent to participate." (D.Siegle 2019) This is also the key areas of ethics to keep in mind when whiting a proposal. 
Respect for dignity;
Free and informed consent;
Vulnerable persons;
Privacy and confidentiality;
Justice and inclusiveness.
This is an important factor to the next modules 2 and 3 as we get ready to put together out proposal and artefact.


          

Looking into different kinds of research and continuing to read some of the books on the reading list. I have found that the research method I am most drawn to is Qualitative Research. "Qualitative researchers seek information ‘directly’ from the phenomenon in question by asking people, observing actual situations or interpreting what people have written." This is something I didn't realise was a form of qualitative research and would like to did deeper into other forms in this field as I feel this is the method I will use the most in the following modules

I found this blog post that I feel explained a lot of the different methodologies discussed in a more simple form and for myself liked a lot of the information I had already read together making it make more sense to me
https://www.questionpro.com/blog/what-is-research/







Comments

  1. Hi Hannah, I really enjoyed reading this blog. I think that an amazing way to enhance our knowledge is through experience. I am also a very practical person, so I find by doing things I learn in a better way. Things like Web 2.0 are great when its impossible to physically do something, but I do feel there is something special about experiencing it. Thanks! Alys :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah, thank you for the link to the blog, it really made a lot more sense than a lot of the articles/journals I have been reading which seem to be rather confusing. However, after reading that blog, I feel like the jigsaw is coming together...slightly! Paul x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paul, yes when I found this blog a lot more things started to fall into place. Glad I could help! Hannah x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dancers CV

Discussion group 17/02

"Diagrams"