Zoom Discussion group - 10/03


Tonight's discussion call with Peter Thomas was an ideal way for me to get back into the frame of mind of academic writing and start to think about different academic writing skills again. 

The key topic that I found most useful during this call way the multiple ways we could structure our essays and how we can get the most out of our research. 

The structure that took my attention the most was the theme-based structure. This is because of the empathise that we have in module 3 around recognising key themes throughout our analysis. 


This is how this particular plan was set out for us.

Introduction - what? why? how?
Context/Literature Review - Define key themes and give background examples.
Analysis - Theme A - Example 1 
                 Theme B - Example 2 
                 Theme C - Example 3
Conclusion - what? why?


Through this kind of structure we have to focus our attention on what we have done and seen and push this forward within our analysis as this is a key part.

To think of our analysis as taking thing apart, explaining them and then put them back together. Doing this by connecting them and looking at them in different ways
We can break the themes down to help draw comparison and doing this will help draw interesting conclusions in a more systematic way.


Finally because of this, it is important it remember for my final academic writing task that;
- Locate myself within the text meaning it is ok to talk about myself and my experiences. Push on this using a triangulation analysis method. 
- My voice is worth hearing. Use my reflective journal to pull on this.
- Think of research as a paper trail. Read and read, use the bibliography from other academic work to find linking information around topics within my practice.

Comments

  1. Hi Hannah,
    Thank you for taking a look at my blog and in turn I have found yours helpful too :) The bit I will take away with me from reading your blog is "We can break the themes down to help draw comparison and doing this will help draw interesting conclusions in a more systematic way."
    I am generally a person who struggles with analysis. - first of all I'm quite slow at being able to analyze something and secondly I find it difficult I find it difficult to put my findings into words an then of course into a piece of academic writing! I hope using this technique I will be able to distinguish things easier. Hope you are getting on ok and wishing you lots of luck with your work :) Thank you again, Lauren x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dancers CV

Discussion group 17/02

"Diagrams"